Ranking the “Good Friday” Tracks ThusfarDecember 4, 2010
Apparently Kanye had an album this year? I haven’t heard it, but I thought I’d rank the Good Friday tracks thusfar by various critiera.
1) The Joy – apparently this is a leftover Pete Rock beat from the 90s
2) So Appalled
3) Devil In A New Dress – produced by Bink!, the “third” producer from Jay-Z’s The Blueprint other than Just Blaze and Kanye
1) Chain Heavy – This is the Kanye a lot of underground heads wanted from his album. I liked Cons’ verse, even if his style is a little played out at this point.
2) So Appalled – All four of them killed it.
3) The Joy – Jay’s verse is really underrated on this one. A lot of cool double entendres.
1) Runaway Love Remix – Raekwon/Justin Bieber (speaks for itself)
2) Looking For Trouble – J. Cole. I’m not a huge fan, but this verse made me understand the hype. That last line about “why sleep on the one you’ve been dreamin on” was so good.
3) Christian Dior Denim Flow – Lloyd Banks. He’ll always be a guilty pleasure of mine. That said, I have no intention of checking for The Hunger For More 2. Not sure why R. Les is spittin on this one, but “Addiction” is still that song.
1) So Appalled – This one deservedly made the album. Nerdy dudes such as myself are still arguing over who did the best on this track – my vote would probably go to CyHi right now.
2) The Joy – This one needs to be on Watch The Throne.
3) Christian Dior Denim Flow – Some of the other tracks, specifically Chain Heavy, were probably better but something about this one always got me. Maybe it was the beat switch, maybe it was Kanye’s dumb line before the chorus, maybe it the Lloyd Banks cameo, maybe it was the guitar solo. The general randomness of the track kept pulling me back – I even know Kid Cudi’s verse word for word. Though it’s bad, Cudi sounds like Rakim when put up against Swizz Beatz on “Lord Lord Lord.”
This was such a cool series. I’m not sure how much longer (if he is?) Kanye’s going to continue this for, but he basically put out a bonus album in addition to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Most of the tracks were quality, and the random cameos kept us coming back to see who he would feature next week. And of course, like every trend Kanye sets, everyone is trying the “free song per week” format. HIS LIFE CRAZY, LIKE OBAMAS. All the tracks provided directly from Kanye after the jump.